Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Sunday Long Run

Woke up to husband gently trying to wake me up. I had asked him the night before to wake me up when he got up so that I could fuel up for my long run well in advance of the time I was due to head out. I rolled over to see that it was 6:30 am. *sigh*

The best consolation to getting up so early is that I get to spend some quiet time with my hubby with a cup of very fresh coffee (he makes the best coffee) and it's time spent before the kids get up and make an ungodly amount of noise. Before I went to bed last night my run partner had written to say that she was unwell. I was expecting that it wouldn't improve overnight. Thing is, if Sheree thinks she's sick, she's sicker than she'd like to admit. So I was prepared to map a route and head out later than 8 am.

Breakfast today was a big, big bowl of oatmeal with a scoop of plain protein powder, almond milk, cinnamon and some raisins. I sweetened it with some agave. Then I had a big bunch of grapes and an orange. Downed another cup of coffee and headed out the door about 10:30 for my run.

Ok, so I allowed my ego to map my run today. I was supposed to do 12K but mapped a 14.5K route. Not a big deal. Not a huge increase either. I figured if I felt strong I'd do the whole distance. If I was feeling fatigued or sore I'd turn at the 6K mark and make it a 12K.

Off I went. It seemed the whole run was into the wind in both directions! How on Earth is that possible? The worst part was that with the ground bare all I could smell was dog poop. I kept wondering if it was just me imagining it or if it was really poop. Gross. I don't think there would have been any avoiding that. I did enjoy the sun. It made the run nice and warm despite the wind.

I ran out of side walk right at 7K, oddly right at the Welcome To Oshawa sign. I took it as a sign that I should turn around and make my way home. It was a good run. I listened to my audiobook and ran a very consistent pace. I was so happy to turn down my street and head in that I had to fight from picking up the pace. After a hot shower I got to the kitchen for some sustenance. Veggie Enchiladas and chocolate milk. Yum. Not a half bad combination. Then I took a mitt full of Tylenol and make a nice cup of Sencha and collapsed on the couch. When 3 pm rolled around I collapsed into bed for an hour nap. It was like the sleep of death. I barely remember shutting my eyes.Once I was up again I sparked up the BBQ. I broke my veggie fast with a gorgeous 6 oz steak and a huge green salad. I really wasn't craving meat. Could have done quite nicely without it. Even hubby said that it wasn't a big deal and that he hasn't missed the meat in his diet for the last 4 1/2 days. That's pretty big. I never realized how much meat we really consumed. There was usually meat at dinner almost every night. Today the one day of the week where it was allowed we didn't think to have any until dinner time. Odd. That said I made quick work of the steak.

Husband went to watch the hockey game at his dad's place tonight leaving me in peace to watch a chick flick and just relax. As soon as he put his coat on to go I herded the kids upstairs for bed. Both were sound asleep less than 20 minutes of being in bed. They had a good day.

I'm still exhausted and think that turning in early is a great idea. That was only 14K. What the heck am I going to be like when I have covered 20K?

Note: I only put a dollar into the swear jar yesterday and today I haven't sworn at all. I should quickly hit the pillow so that I can get away with one good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment