Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Half Way

Just finished up my run. It sure was beautiful out there tonight. I hadn't peeped a toe out the door except to run the green bin out today and wasn't sure what the conditions would be like. Got out tonight and have to say it was wonderful. It brightened my mood and cleared my mind.

I was out late last night and slept a bit too late and missed seeing Punsutawney Phil. Ground Hog Day is always a big thing for me. I love to find excuses to celebrate. I think its awesome to be able to inject a little bit of fun into a lack luster stretch of winter. My kids actually think I'm nuts. That's ok because in 20 years they'll remember my enthusiasm and think about it all in a different light. We are planning a trip down to see him at Gobbler's Knob, in a year or two. What a fun thing to do!

Besides the let down of missing the early celebrations it was a fairly normal day. I didn't have the great pool of energy that I had yesterday and I believe that carried over into my run tonight. I wonder how much of it is due to my late night?
The day started out with a bowl of oatmeal (oats, raisins, walnuts, salba, cinnamon, rice milk and agave, pinch of sea salt) and a cup of coffee. Again, the best I could do was to eat half. Still, better than having not eaten at all.

This held me very well until 11 am when I started to gather lunch together. I still haven't had a chance to sit and look over the recipes in that cookbook but I'm hoping to put something yummy together for tomorrow's dinner.

After getting the kid's lunch together I was left to figure out what mine should be. A trip down to the pantry was necessary. I needed something quick now because I was hungry! The chips were calling my name.

Ahhh the pantry. This can be a dangerous place for me. I do admit that much of what I make comes from the inspiration my pantry provides. I am an admitted food hoarder. My pantry offers just way too many options.

Like today, I almost talked myself into making quickie crab cakes but opted for a light tuna salad (onion, half mayo, hemp seed) on a flax seed bagel with a bit of low fat cheddar.

As I was standing there in the basement looking at the goods on the shelves, sifting through all the possibilities. I decided to go with something simple. Brown Rice Pasta w/kale, bell peppers, onions, carrots, sweet basil, turkey sausage and goat cheese feta.

I ate my dinner in quiet tonight. A rare occasion. The men were off at their Karate Class and I was left to myself for about an hour or so.

I got to watch a few "Cougar Towns". I love this show because its all so very true! Hilarious! Which brings me to my next thought. Lent starts next week.

I love Lent. I think it's one of my favourite times of the year. I always use it as an opportunity to make improvements. Give things up that are missed. Spend a good deal of time in reflection. Most years I give up TV. Yes, its true. I go on a full TV fast. Its actually very therapeutic and I do often wonder how the TV gets turned back on. This year I'd like to do something different. Something I've never done before. Perhaps this year I will add things to my Lenten experience that will improve me. What that ought to be? I'm not sure yet. I've got a week to kick it about.

Do you do or give up anything during the Lent season? How does it make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment