Sunday, November 28, 2010

Anticipation/Frustration...hey they rhyme!

If you are a friend of mine you know that I've had a real fun time replacing a dishwasher. The fiasco started back when we moved into our house 5 years ago. When we moved in we really didn't question why the owner never bothered to fill the whole under the cabinet where the dishwasher ought to have been. We had a portable that was only purchased just over a year before so there was no rush to purchase something to fill the gap. Instead, we put a shelf in the space and put our microwave and bar fridge in there. This was a nice compromise.

I never much liked the portable, it did the job well and I was too cheap to get rid of it so long as it was functioning. Then last May the bottom sprayers some how magically became clogged. I asked my husband to take one of my plastic knitting needles and unclog it but I guess he thought the job was too disgusting to attempt and the next thing I knew we had purchased a nice new shiny dishwasher. Finally, I was going to get all that space back that the portable was taking up. We'd relocate the microwave and fridge. I'd get a dishwasher right across from the sink! Hallelujah!

Nope, not even close. Turns out it couldn't be done. The reason the owner never bothered was because he made a huge mistake when he changed the location of the sink causing the builder to relocate the cold air return vents which now ran directly under the island where the dishwasher needed to be. There was no hope of running any sort of plumbing when there was the venting there.

Finally, after staring at the very big box with my nice shiny new all the bells and whistles dishwasher for five months. The vents got moved. Then after both a plumber and electrician came in to install it, it's up and running in fabulous form. No more sink full of dishes. No more doing them by hand. Only thing is now it takes 3-4 hours a load. Some new energy economizing function on this machine. If it stretches out the length it takes for the loads to complete the less energy it requires. You'd think that would be important what with the hydro rates sky rocketing. JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK!!!!! Are you kidding me???

Gahhhh what's a girl got to do to get some clean dishes? I could hand wash every cup, knife, fork and dish in the house plus my wedding china and crystal in the time it takes to do a lousy simple load of dishes. I'd still have time to polish the silver too!

I'd laugh if it wasn't so completely freaking ridiculous. You all wonder why I threaten to drink all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment