Tuesday, April 24, 2012

My Visit

It often happens that when I have a lot on my mind I don't write any of it down.  That's why the blog as been so quiet.  Just too much going on!  Where has my head been?  Well, pull up a chair and I'll tell you!

There were a bunch of changes that happened in the last few months.  I've been doing a lot of house cleaning.  Personal habits, unwelcome people, unwelcome thoughts.  Change can be a good thing.  Embracing it rather than fighting against it, is like tucking and rolling.  If you're headed for a fall you might as well fall right and not get injured.  That's exactly what I am doing.  Pulling away from the things that have been eroding my happiness and productivity and rededicating myself to bigger, brighter things.  Things that make me happy.  Things that keep me busy and in service to my family, friends and community.

Today, as I was sitting at my desk waiting for inspiration.  My desk really being my kitchen table with my laptop, coffee cup and planner.  From my seat I can see out the big patio door into the yard.  The yard looks pretty horrible.  I neglected to put my garden away for the winter and I can see some patches of weeds that were dispatched last year in the frost but were never tended too.  There are pool toys scattered about.  I also see that I'll need to get another yard of sand to level the ground before I can put the pool up this season.  Lately, whenever I look out this window all I see is the huge amount of work it's going to take to spruce up the yard.  The deck that needs to be refinished.  The ever so long list of regret for my procrastination.  Today, I looked beyond it and saw something else.

Perched on the privacy wall, on the edge of part of my herb garden, a Robin.  He was beautiful.  He was grooming himself and singing.  Taking a sip of water from an overflowing flower pot that wasn't put away a long with the rest of my straggly looking containers.  I watched him for the better part of an hour.  When I realized how much time had passed while I sat in wonder of this bird I realized that it didn't matter.  I felt peaceful.  As if it were no less important that I sit and watch the life that teams outside my window than the tasks I laid out in front of me.  What I did in that moment was the nicest thing I did for myself all day.

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver. - Martin Luther








No comments:

Post a Comment