Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Tuning In

This time of year always makes me so much more aware of what is around me and coming from within me.  The weight of my relationships.  The weight of my service to my family and the world.  There is a line from my favourite movie that says "I love you.  Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either, but love don't make things nice- it ruins everything.  It breaks your heart.  It makes things a mess.  We aren't here to make things perfect.  The snowflakes are perfect.  The stars are perfect.  Not us.  Not us!  We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and 'die'.  The storybooks are bullshit!"

That quote doesn't mean that I am disenchanted with my life.  Just the opposite.  It is because I am so grateful  that I am drawn to examine that life.  This time of year calls me to ask myself,  how can I live this life better?  What more I can contribute?  How best can I serve someone other than myself?  How to better understand my world and my role in it and ultimately, who I am because of it.  Love is messy.  How can I embrace that?  What can I do with these jagged pieces of the world, to put them in order?  How do I fit into that puzzle without becoming pierced by the sharp edges?  How do I stay passionate and connected?  How do I stay invested?

What would you do for love? How has it touched your heart?







No comments:

Post a Comment